Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Design Center.



One of the most fun (and daunting) things about building a house is getting to pick all the details that go inside. The builder didn’t waste any time getting us into the design center (so our materials can be ordered and the house can start being built ASAP!) It seemed that we had millions of options on hundreds of things inside the home.

Our day started with talking to the “water guy”, trying to convince us to spend thousands on fancy water purifiers, etc. Then we sat down with the “security guy”. Having always lived with my parents, in a dorm, or in a small apartment – the idea of having a huge house is a bit intimidating and we left that meeting with a slightly empty wallet and a house with Mission Impossible style security. (at least I’ll sleep soundly at night).

We spent the rest of the day pouring over tile, granite, cabinets, carpet, fireplaces, front doors, ceiling fans… you name it – we picked it! My indecisive nature was not a good mix for this important day, but I went in with piles of magazine pictures and plenty of ideas in my memory from previous model homes we’ve seen. A huge kudos and hug to my amazing husband for his unbelievable patience.

The two things I’m most excited about? The fireplace and our beautiful front door.

Sneak peek of our choices:
(including the pretty lighting picture at the top!)




"Upward" is the grayish blue we picked for our master bathroom.




Our kitchen! Our cabinets (middle), granite (bottom right), tile (bottom left), and stone (top right). The large board on the left is with some of the backsplash options, we chose the one on the bottom right corner of that board - It was perfect and matched the magazine clippings I brought in!




The most important options in one picture! From the front is the tile for bathrooms, then the hardwood for the study, the tile for the downstairs, the granite in the kitchen, the dark brown wood is our stair handrails, and in the back is our upstairs and master bedroom carpet. The little block on the front right is the cast stone for our fireplace.

3 comments:

  1. Heidi, I cannot even begin to imagine how difficult this would have been. From the pictures (I'm so happy you took so many!!) it looks like you did a stellar job. I'm going to start sounding like a broken record BUT..I CANNOT wait for Bromley to be ready!!! 4 months to go, it's going to fly!

    I'm not counting the rest of July (too few days left) or the beginning of the December either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi! I could not have done this! I am so impressed! And I feel your pain with the indecision party. Whoa! I would have failed.
    This is so cool... you are literally taking part in EVERY part of your new home. Beautiful!
    It also seems like a lot of pressure!! Thanks for letting us in on this process. We can stress out with you! (And enjoy it).

    PS: your comment on my blog was hilarious. As usual!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my!
    the idea of making so many decisions is terrifying. luckily you are a big picture thinker, and are able to see everything coming together. my house would look like a hodgepodge of mismatched tiles/wood/colors...sort of like a 4th grade project.
    i'm taking notes...

    ReplyDelete