Saturday, February 20, 2010

My passion.

Passion fruit.

Until my honeymoon, I always thought passion fruit was merely a fruity scent. Something only popular in candles and shampoo. Once in St. Lucia, I was taken aback by this strange fruit with an even stranger consistency. The passion fruit itself almost looks like a tropical caviar, and as soon as you scoop out your first bite... you rethink everything that you have ever eaten before.

With your first spoonful, your taste-buds dance with the combination of sweet and tart, with a surprising crunchy bite. Explosions of flavor!

Every morning in St. Lucia, I would bounce into the seaside restaurant, grabbing the first couple passion fruits I found on my way. I'd sit and slowly scoop and munch....scoop and munch, while looking out into the Caribbean and planning our next adventure for the day. (while also sipping the fresh passion fruit juice made every morning)


I am connected to my favorite memories by the memories of food eaten along the way.

Since my honeymoon, I'd always think about the amazing food I'd found and try to find alternatives at the store. Welch's Passionfruit Juice has been a suitable alternative for the juice, but I've never found passion fruit. I've even thought about ordering some online and having them shipped...until this week.

While walking through my friendly neighborhood HEB (Buffalo Market) I gasped when I found a small pile of passion fruit beside the coconuts! I grabbed two handfuls and quickly filled the closest bag. At $2 each, it was a pricey shopping trip... but by far the highlight of
my week!

I'm actually eating one right now.

scoop and munch....scoop and munch....



3 comments:

  1. HURRAY!!!!

    Two things:
    1. It's about time you had this up and running.
    2. Passion fruit...I'm happy to know you found it at HEB but, for future "scoop and munch" cravings- check out your Central Market. I've seen it there a few times (maybe at $2.75 though). After your food commentary, I'm tempted to splurge and try it myself!

    I will be eagerly awaiting your future posts.

    Faithful reader,
    Dahnya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi!! You started a blog! I love it!
    (The title is super cute!)

    I have officially subscribed to you via Google Reader and I will not miss a post!

    Are the passion fruits you got from HEB as good as the ones from St. Lucia?
    You're inspiring to try one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow--great inaugural entry!
    I have always been intimidated by odd fruits (passion fruit, star fruit, pomegranate), and your description has sold me on pf.
    I hope that I have just as wonderful an experience.

    ReplyDelete